Some things are more of a hassle than others. Projects that require multiple trips to the hardware store, for instance, can really pile up just waiting for you to find the time to get them done.
Thankfully, it doesn’t always have to do be that way! There are countless tricks out there with a singular purpose: to make your chores just a little bit easier.
1. You can grow roses by simply inserting the base of the cuttings into the potato and then planting them.
2. A little bit of beeswax can transform any pair of kicks into waterproof shoes. Just smear the wax all over your shoes and then use a hairdryer to melt and seal the wax. Once the wax has dried again, you’ve got waterproof shoes.
3. If you need to dry clothes quickly, simply take your clean, wet clothes and roll them up inside of a dry towel. Ring out the towel to banish excess moisture, and then hang the clothes to dry.
4. Even the squeakiest clean of folks get stinky sneakers. Just put a few (unused) tea bags inside of each shoe and let the sweet herbal mixture absorb the unpleasant odors while imparting good scents.
5. If you bought shoes that are a little bit too tight, fill them with wet newspaper. Once the newspaper has dried, remove them from each shoe. You’ll find that your shoes have stretched.
6. If you lost some little thing somewhere this will be useful. Just affix pantyhose to the end of your vacuum. The nylons will act as a shield, enabling you to snag even the smallest items.
7. Buy (or make) a water bottle that is labeled by time of day. That way you can make sure you aren’t falling behind when it comes to getting that good ol’ hydrating H2O.
8. If you have a problem with dirty toilet that is hard to clean, pour a can of Coca Cola into the bowl and let it sit overnight. In the morning, simply flush—and be amazed that something you drink can also bleach befouled toilets.
9. If you have clogged drains, run a bit of hot water and then pour equal parts baking soda and vinegar down the the drain to bust that clog.
10. Dab a bit of clear nail polish over the threads on your buttons and let them dry. Once it has set, you’ll have buttons that are almost impossible to fall off!
11. Should you ever find yourself in a bind without antiperspirant, you can simply rub the skin of an orange or a lemon under your armpits in order to temporarily remove foul odors.
12. If your ice melts too quickly, all you need to do is toss some ordinary kitchen salt onto the ice. That will help it stay colder longer.
13. Halve your orange peel—making sure to leave the thick pith inside, which will double as a wick. Next, pour some olive oil into it, and light it up! These burn for longer than you think and they impart a wonderful aroma.
14. If your can’t open a jar, take a long piece of duct tape and affix it to the lid, then try to twist the lid off.
15. If you have a pot of boiling pasta and you’re worried about it boiling over, just place a wooden spoon over the pot as pictured below. The spoon will pop the bubbles should they rise too high and threaten to spill out of the pot.
Images source: nifymag.com